Dean Richards shares his recipes for puff pastries ahead of the big game.
Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
- 1 (17.25-oz) package frozen puff pastry, such as Pepperidge Farm thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 lb pork sausage uncooked
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine sausage, Worcestershire sauce, sage, thyme, onion powder, and black pepper. Divide the sausage mixture into 4 portions.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 2 rectangles.
- Spread sausage down the middle of each piece of puff pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with an egg wash.
- Working with one rectangle at a time, fold the left and right sides of the pastry over the sausage to meet and overlap in the middle. Press down to seal the seam.
- Cut each log into 8 bite size pieces with a sharp knife. Place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops and sides of the rolls with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
Cheese Puff Pastry Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus (about 12 large asparagus stalks, trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (17.3 ounce) box puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a large, rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 6 equal rectangles using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Brush each puff pastry rectangle with a little olive oil.
- Place 2 asparagus on each rectangle diagonally. Sprinkle the asparagus with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold the opposite ends of the puff pastry over the asparagus, pinching the corners of the pastry closed. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the puff pastry with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bake in hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the asparagus bundles are golden brown.
- In the last minute of baking, remove from oven and lightly brush the puff pastry dough with egg wash. Return to oven for last minute of baking.
Sweet Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- 2 sheets ready-made puff pastry (17.3 oz. 2 sheets approx 25.4cm x 25.4cm)
- 6 tbsp blueberry jam (or flavor of choice)
- 1 – 8oz. brick of cream cheese (room temperature)
- Flour for dusting
- Milk for brushing
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to directions on the box. Lightly dust the work surface with flour and place the two pastry sheets out flat.
- Divide the jam over the two pastry sheets, and spread evenly with a knife.
- Spread cream cheese evenly over the jam.
- Roll the pastry sheets fairly tightly, brush the ends with a little milk and seal. Brush milk over each roll, and cut into slices, around 1 inch in width. Place on a plate in the fridge.
- Pre heat the oven to 400ºf.
- Once the oven is at temperature, place the pinwheels on parchment on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
See past recipes from Dean on his cooking page.
Get Dean’s reviews and A-List interviews delivered right to your inbox. Sign up for Dean’s Downloads weekly newsletter. You’ll also get his Dean Cooks recipes too!