WGN Entertainment Critic Dean Richards shares his recipe for Grilled Strawberry Shortcake and Grilled S’Mores Pizza.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 lbs. strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pound cake, sliced into 3/4 inch slices
- Spreadable butter
- Whipped cream (canned or homemade)
- Place sliced strawberries into a bowl
- Preheat grill to medium heat
- Spread butter over one side of pound cake slices
- Grill for 1-2 minutes, butter side down, until golden brown, repeating on other side
- In a grated grill pan, quickly sauté the strawberries until warm
- Move to a bowl and add sugar
- Place grilled pound cake onto plates and top with strawberries and whipped cream
S’Mores Pizza on the Grill
- 1 Pizza Crust (buy homemade or pre-made Bobeli style crust)
- 3 to 4 tbsp. Nutella
- 2 to 3 graham crackers, crumbled
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup M&M’s plain
- Set up grill for indirect method of cooking (direct heat to sides, low heat directly under pizza, reaching 400 degrees)
- Bake on side of the crust under desired ‘brown-ness’, then remove from heat.
- With the grilled side of the pizza facing up, spread Nutella over crust leaving a gap around the edge.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the Nutella, topping with a layer of mini-marshmallows. Sprinkle M&M’s all over.
- Put back on grill until it all starts to melt, or until marshmallows are browned and crust is completely cooked to a golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Read more Chicago news headlines here.