WGN Entertainment Critic Dean Richards shares his recipe for Grilled Corn on the Cob and Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad for Memorial Day.
Grilled Corn on the Cob
- 6 fresh Corn on the Cob (shucked, de-silked)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Clean corn of silk and husks.
- Drizzle with olive oil over each cob and season with salt and pepper
- Place cobs on the grill over medium heat, rotating by 1/3 about every 7 minutes until desired browning.
- Serve warm with butter (and other optional toppings)
Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- 1 lb. uncooked pasta (Dean uses fusilli)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. asparagus
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 large leaves basil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for the pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drizzle oil when finished and set aside.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Clean and cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds, cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Cut asparagus into 2-inch lengths
- Coat veggies with light layer of olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Grill veggies about 3 minutes per side. When finished, let them cool for about 5 minutes and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add olive oil, vinegar and garlic into a bowl, add pasta
- Stir in the grilled veggies
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, mixing thoroughly
- Tear the basil into shreds, add into bowl
Read more Chicago news headlines here.