WGN Entertainment Reporter Dean Richards shares a recipe for Christmas Ham in the slow cooker.
- 7-8 pound spiral-cut ham (bone-in or boneless)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 can pineapple slices
- Whole cloves
- Use a 6-7 quart slow cooker (or use the “slow cooker” function on your insta-pot)
- Place the ham into the slow cooker stoneware, flat-side down, with layers of kitchen twine under it so it can be easily removed from the cooker when finished.
- Insert whole cloves evenly all over the ham. You may need to poke holes in the ham with a knife to penetrate the tough skin.
- On the stems of the whole cloves, hang a pineapple slice. Do it all over the ham.
- In a separate bowl, make a paste of the brown sugar, maple syrup and pineapple juice and apply to the ham.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Baste ham with the collected juices from the bottom of the slow cooker periodically during the cooking process…and before serving.
- When cooking is done, remove carefully with the strings….and let it rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before carving.
See past recipes from Dean on his cooking page.