WGN’s Dean Richards shares recipe for Peach Cobbler.
- 2 pounds fresh peaches; peeled (or not) and sliced. Frozen peaches (defrosted) are OK. You’ll need 6 cups of sliced peaches total.
- 2 to 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups soft white bread cubes. (I used brioche bread and cubed it myself.)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
Preheat the oven or grill to 350°F.
Toss the peaches with the cornstarch. If the slices are large, chop them up a bit. Spread them in a 9″ pie pan that’s at least 1 1/2″ deep.
Top the peaches with the bread cubes, pressing them down gently.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, egg, butter, and salt.
Drizzle the syrup over the bread cubes.
Bake the cobbler for 35 to 45 minutes, until the bread is a deep, golden brown, and the filling is bubbly. If baking on a grill, use the indirect method (no flames under the pan.)
Remove the cobbler from the oven/grill. Wait about 30 minutes before serving letting the filling to set. It’s good served warm or at room temperature. Ice cream or whipped cream are always good.