WGN Entertainment Reporter Dean Richards is sharing social distancing comfort food recipes.
Today, Dean shares an easy recipe for Asian chicken lettuce wraps.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 tbs. peanut oil
- 1/2 minced onion
- 1 cup diced red or green pepper
- 1 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- Butter or Bibb lettuce
For the Sauce:
- P.F. Chang’s Sesame Sauce (sweet and mild) or P.F. Chang’s Kung Pao sauce (hot), or make your own:
- 3 tbs. soy sauce
- 3 tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- 1 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tbs. peanut butter
- 1 tbs. honey
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- Heat bottled sauce in pan. If you’re making your own, whisk together sauce ingredients until well combined.
- Microwave firmer peanut butter for 30 seconds to mix.
- Heat 2 tbs. of peanut oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add ground chicken.
- Cook until pieces begin to brown. Then, add onion and cook for five minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add peppers and water chestnuts.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until peppers become soft.
- Add sauce and simmer on low heat until chicken and veggies are evenly coated and heated.
- Serve in lettuce leaves, on top of Asian salad or over noodles or rice.