Richie Farina, Executive Chef at Adorn Restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Adorn Restaurant: 120 E Delaware Place, Chicago, IL 60611
Chicago Gourmet’s Prost! In the Park presented by Krombacher
Sunday, September 24
Harris Theater Rooftop at Millennium Park, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago, IL 60601
Pork Belly with Sauerkraut Puree
Yield 12 portions
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fennel
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 cup salt
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 lbs pork belly
1 cup orange juice
1 lb onion (about 2 medium onions) sliced
- Rinse pork belly under cold water and let it dry, uncovered, overnight in the fridge.
- Toast all spices in a pan over low heat. Allow to cool, then grind the spices and mix with salt and sugar. Cover pork belly in mixture and let cure for 6 hours.
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of a roasting pan and add orange juice.
- Place the pork belly on top of the onions and cover with foil.
- Bake at 400F for 2 hours covered. Then remove foil and bake for an additional 1 hour.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and place between 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper. Wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap. Place in fridge with a weight on top.
- Allow to cool overnight. Cut into 2.5 oz portions the following day.
- Sear the belly in a sauté pan over medium heat to make it crispy before serving.
¼ lb of butter
½ onion sliced
1 clove garlic
2 cups sauerkraut
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pot over low heat. Add onions and garlic. Sweat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and cook for an additional 30 minutes with a lid on.
- Transfer to a blender, and puree.
- Season with salt.
- Pass through a strainer.
- Serve pork belly portion over sauerkraut puree.