Chef Thai Dang
1800 S. Carpenter St., Chicago
First Bites Bash (may be sold out)
- Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020, 6 – 9 p.m.
- Field Museum, 1400 S. Lake Shore Drive
- Celebrate the city’s acclaimed culinary scene at First Bites Bash, the official kick-off event for Chicago Restaurant Week, featuring bites from more than 70 of Chicago’s most celebrated chefs.
Chicago Restaurant Week
- Jan. 24 – Feb. 9, 2020
- Chicago Restaurant Week is a 17-day celebration of the city’s award-winning culinary scene. The 13th annual event brings together hundreds of the city’s top restaurants, representing a near-endless array of cuisines and making it the largest restaurant week in the nation.
- During Chicago Restaurant Week, diners can enjoy special prix fixe menus at more than 400 restaurants throughout Chicago and nearby suburbs. These multi-course meals are $24 for brunch or lunch, and $36 and/or $48 for dinner (excluding beverages, tax, and gratuity).
Bún Tôm Xào
(Rice noodles, shrimp, Vietnamese herbs, coconut milk)
1 pack rice noodles
10x 8/12 ct shrimp, peeled & deveined, split in half
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped scallion
1 small can of coconut milk
¼ cup bean sprouts
Cracked black pepper
Fish sauce to taste
Fresh Thai chili, optional
Fried shallots, optional
1-2 tablespoons Canola/veg oil
Cook rice noodles:
In a medium size pot, bring water to a boil. Add rice noodles, allow water to come back to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cook per the instructions on package. Cooking times varies depending on brands and size of noodles. Taste your noodles for tenderness. Be carefully not to overcook the noodles. When done, drain and rinse under cold water. Rest in colander to drain excess water. Set aside.
In a sauté pan add oil and sauté the garlic and scallions. Then add the shrimp. Season with crack black pepper and fish sauce, to taste. Then add the coconut milk. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce for 3 minutes. Add more fish sauce to desire taste. Treat fish sauce like salt.
In a rim plate or bowl, add 2 cups worth of noodles to the bottom. Add 1/4 cup bean sprouts on top. Warm up shrimp and coconut milk mixture. Then spoon mixture over the noodles and bean sprouts. Garnish with Vienamese herbs and thai chili and fried shallots, both optional.