This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Chef Nick Marsalek
The Chocolate Sanctuary Restaurant & Lounge
5101 Washington St., Gurnee, IL 60031
Panko Crusted Citrus Salmon
- 1 6oz Salmon Filet
- Citrus Beurre Blanc
- 1 T oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups orange juice
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8oz (1 cup) butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 1 cup panko
- ¼ cup orange zest
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- ¼ cup lime zest
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs
Panko Salmon Method
- In a small bowl mix lemon, lime, and orange zest with panko and cocoa nibs.
- Heat a saute pan, with enough vegetable oil to coat the pan, until oil is very hot and shimmering
- Sprinkle salmon fillet on all sides with salt and pepper
- Coat top of salmon with a bit of vegetable oil and dip that side into the panko crust mix. Press down firmly to help coating stick.
- Place crusted side down in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Place the salmon crust side up on a cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees.
- Let the salmon rest for one minute and then top with Citrus Beurre Blanc
Citrus Beurre Blanc Method
- Heat oil in small sauce pot and sweat shallots until they are translucent
- Add in white wine and reduce by half
- Add orange and lemon juice to the pot and reduce by half again
- Melt in brown sugar
- Turn off the heat and add in COLD butter in three portions. Wait until butter is melted to add the next portion
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Hold at room temperature because if it gets too hot the butter and juices will separate.