This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Executive Chef Nick Bajal
30 N. Clinton St.
Chicago, IL 60661
Mushroom Taco recipe
- 5 lbs portabella mushrooms
- 1 ea white onion
- 5 ea garlic cloves
- 1 TB oregano dried
- 1 TB dark chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne chili powder
- 2 tsp black pepper ground
- 3 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 7 ea dried pasilla chili
- 7 ea dried guajillo chili
- 10 ea dried arbol chili
- 1⁄4 cup white sesame seeds
- 6 ea garlic cloves whole
- 5 cups oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tb ground coriander
- 1 TB ground black pepper
- 3 TB honey
- 2 TB salt
- 1 ea jicama
- 1 ea head green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- Slice the mushrooms, onions, and garlic and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat and add the onions.
- Cook for 4-5 mins until they begin to soften, then add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 15 mins until everything is soft and cooked through, then set aside.
- If the pan gets too dry during the cooking process, add some of your favorite stock, broth, or water.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- In a deep pan, add all 5 cups of oil (Make sure there is room in the pan to add ingredients as you will be pan frying and toasting everything in the pan for the salsa).
- Heat the oil until it begins to smoke but not burn; around 350 degrees.
- When the oil is ready, begin to add all the chilis to the oil and toast them until they blister (around 1 min).
- Repeat this method with the remaining spices & ingredients.
- Allow the oil to cool down to room temperature and strain of any burnt pieces.
- In a blender, add everything except for the oil and blend into a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the oil until blended together; it will look a little separated but that is okay.
- This salsa can stay in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- Slice the cabbage as thin as possible and set aside.
- Chop the cilantro and set aside.
- Peel the jicama to reveal the white colored flesh, then slice it into 1⁄4 inch thick strips.
- Combine all ingredients and save for plating.
Building the Taco:
- Heat the flour, street taco-sized tortilla of your choice in a pan, remove from pan, place desired amount of mushroom filling in the tortilla, top with a spoonful of slaw mix, a drizzle of salsa macha, and enjoy!
*yields approximately 25 street tacos