This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Chef Dennis Bernard – Fairview
Fulton Galley Food Hall
1115 W. Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Masa Harina
- 1/2 cup Chihuahua cheese, shredded
- 1 cup corn puree
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco, crumbled
- a few sungold tomatoes (cut in half)
- pickled green beans (cut in half lengthwise)
- olive oil
- chopped scallions
- chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, masa, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt) into a bowl.
- Fold in the corn puree, chihuahua cheese and eggs.
- Slowly add in the buttermilk until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a non-stick, oven-proof pan, warm to medium heat then add 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Take approximately 2 heaping tablespoons of the arepa mix and add onto the hot pan.
- Treat it like a pancake and flip when cooked on one side.
- Put the pan in the oven right after the flip.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and set on a plate.
- Garnish with queso fresco, dress the tomatoes with pickled green beans, a little pickling liquid, olive oil, chopped cilantro and scallions.