This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
5318 N. Clark Street Chicago, IL 60640 (in the Andersonville neighborhood)
Dough to start, with filling and glaze.
- To make the dough mix all the ingredients together in a mixer with a dough hook for 12 minutes.
- Put into a bowl and allow to rise until doubled.
- To make the filling, mix the softened butter with the sugars and salt.
- To make the glaze, bring everything to a boil in a pot and allow to cool.
- To make the buns: once the dough has doubled, press down and roll out into a rectangle about 1/2in thick.
- Spread the filling over the rectangle evenly. Fold the dough like an envelope, on top of itself. Roll out again to ¼ in thick.
- Cut strips lengthwise and twirl to form the buns.
- Proof the buns for about 2 hours, until doubled, then egg wash and top with pearl sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze.
|Spelt Flour||½ c|
|Cardamom, ground||1 ½ tsp|
|Muscovado Sugar||1/3 cup|
|Lemon Juice||2 Tbl|