Chef Lorena Garcia
September 21-24, 2023
Harris Theater Rooftop and Art Smith’s Reunion
ALL-NEW IN 2023 – Rise & Shine Gourmet
- Hosted by chef friends Art Smith (Art Smith’s Reunion) and Lorena Garcia (Chica)
- Chef Art Smith’s Reunion, 700 E. Grand Ave.
- Sunday, September 24, 2023, 11AM-1:30PM
- *SOLD OUT*
Vuelve a la Vida Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
1 medium red onion
3 garlic cloves, 2 smashed, 1 finely grated
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt, plus more
1Ib. large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped
½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro stems
1 cup fresh lime juice (from about 8 limes)
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Tabasco
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1 tablespoon mezcal (optional)
1 large ripe avocado, thinly sliced
Cilantro leaves with tender stems, saltine crackers or corn tostadas, and lime wedges (for serving)
1. Cut 1 medium red onion in half through root end; set I half aside. Cut other half in half again (so you have 2 quarters). Coarsely chop I onion quarter and thinly slice the other quarter; set aside separately.
2. Combine 2 smashed garlic cloves, 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns, and reserved red onion half in a large saucepan. Pour in 1o cups water and season generously with kosher salt (water should taste briny, like the ocean). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Return liquid to a boil. Add 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cook until bright pink and cooked through, about 1½ minutes.
4. Pulse 1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped, ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro stems, and reserved chopped red onion in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup fresh lime juice, 1 cup ketchup, 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. distilled white vinegar, 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Tabasco, 1 Tbsp.Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt,
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. Aji-No-Moto umami seasoning (if using), 2 tsp. sugar, and z cups cold water until combined. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
5. Divide shrimp and sauce among shallow bowls. Top with 1 large ripe avocado, thinly sliced, dividing evenly, and reserved sliced red onion. Scatter cilantro leaves with tender stems over. Serve with saltine crackers or corn tostadas.