Lynn Dugan, Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist and Chef at MyPlate2Yours
Global Cooking Classes to benefit Feed My Starving Children. Just like the FMSC partnership in 7 regions of the world, MyPlate2Yours, Lynn Dugan, offers this zoom global cooking series featuring foods from those regions. Registration for these classes is found on www.myplate2yours.com. The classes are free but the suggested minimum donation made directly to FMSC, is $50.
Sunday, November 14
Flavors of the Middle East: FUNdraiser for Feed My Starving Children
On the Menu:
Spinach Soup with Chickpeas
Shakshouka with Pita
Sweet Malabi Pudding
Thursday, December 9
Christmas in the Philippines: FUNdraiser for Feed My Starving Children
On the Menu:
Festive Puny*ta (Rum and Tea Punch with Pineapple)
Traditional Pancit Noodles
Holiday Pork BBQ
Thursday, January 6
Flavors of Africa: FUNdraiser for Feed My Starving Children
On the menu:
Bacon Wrapped Plantains
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Fresh Tabouli Salad (serves 4)
¼ cup fine bulgur wheat
2 firm Roma tomatoes, finely chopped (place in colander to drain)
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
2 green onions, green and white portions, finely chopped
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, more if desired
2-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more if desired
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice until well combined. Add bulgur to the dressing and soak for 15 minutes, until wheat is soft and plump.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the bulgur and dressing over vegetables. Toss to combine.
- Adjust seasonings, lemon juice and olive oil, if needed.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes (up to 1 day). Enjoy!
Homemade Hummus (makes 4 servings)
1 15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Paprika, for garnish
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Add 1 tablespoon cold water, if needed to adjust creaminess.
- Chill in a covered container for 20 minutes. Serve with cut vegetables and pita quarters. Enjoy!