Smokehouse Baked Beans
- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 (15-ounce) cans white beans, such as navy, rinsed and drained or 6 cups cooked white beans
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Cook bacon in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat until it starts to release its fat. Add olive oil and onion and cook until translucent and soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, molasses, chile powder, mustard and vinegar until well combined and cook for 1 minute. Add beans, broth, salt and pepper and stir gently to combine.
Cover skillet tightly with a lid or foil and bake until beans are just tender, about 1 hour. Remove lid, add more broth if needed to moisten beans and continue to bake, uncovered, until top is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes more. Serve hot.