Chandra Ram, Associate Editorial Director, Food & Wine
Tips for meal planning:
ROASTED CARROTS WITH PRESERVED LEMONS AND DATES
Fresh herbs, two kinds of citrus, and a honey-za’atar vinaigrette give this charred carrot salad bright flavors.
By Chandra Ram
This simple roasted carrots recipe comes together in minutes but delivers big flavors, thanks to the mixed herbs, bright citrus, and sweet dates. The fresh cilantro, parsley, and mint add so much green freshness to this dish, and work wonderfully with the orange, lemon, za’atar, and honey vinaigrette. The chopped preserved lemon adds tart punches of acidity, while the dates provide moments of sweet chewiness. Heating the baking sheet in the oven while it preheats helps ensure you get a nice char on the carrots. You can also grill the carrots for this dish; start them over direct heat and then move them to the side of the grill to finish cooking.
Active Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 7 large (1 pound total) orange carrots and purple carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (from 1 navel orange)
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup pistachios, gently smashed
- ½ cup chopped dried dates (about 5 dates)
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2 ½ tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
Prepare the Carrots:
- Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss together carrots and oil in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove hot baking sheet from oven and place carrots, cut-side down, on baking sheet.
- Roast carrots until lightly browned and cooked through but not soft, 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through baking time.
While carrots roast, prepare the Vinaigrette:
- Place oil, lemon juice, orange juice, za’atar, honey, and salt in a small bowl or jar (secure lid to jar if using); whisk or shake until combined.
- Remove carrots from oven, and transfer to a cutting board; let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Cut into 1-inch pieces, and place in a large bowl. Add pistachios, dates, parsley, cilantro, mint, and preserved lemon. Drizzle Vinaigrette evenly over carrot mixture; toss to combine.