This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Tino Almaraz, Executive Chef of Meze Mediterraneo
680 Mall Dr, Schaumburg, IL 60173
Grilled Spanish Octopus with Roasted Potatoes, Lemon & Olive Oil (makes 4 servings)
- 1 4lb-6lb Spanish Octopus (can be purchased at any reputable fish purveyor)
- 3 ribs celery cut into large pieces
- 2 large carrots cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 12 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1tbs whole black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2oz (4 T) fresh oregano, minced
- 6oz (3/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 20oz (2 ½ cups) extra virgin olive oil
- 1lb small Yukon potatoes
- 1lb small purple potatoes
- For Octopus:
- In a large pot, put two gallons of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add the following ingredients: celery, carrots, onions, parsley, four garlic cloves, fresh thyme, bay leaves and 1 cup red wine vinegar.
- Add kosher salt and whole black pepper to taste.
- Bring it to a boil one more time and hold the octopus from the head, dipping the tentacles halfway into the boiling water five times for 3-4 seconds.
- Once the tentacles curl, put the whole octopus in and cook for 60-75 mins or until tender.
- Once tender, take the octopus out of boiling water with a pair of tongs and lay it on a sheet pan to cool.
- Cut off both the head and each of the tentacles, marinate the tentacles for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the tentacles from marinade and let them drain, then grill them in hot skillet until caramelized.
- For Marinade:
- In a mixing bowl, take 6-8 garlic cloves and mince.
- Add 2oz of minced oregano, 3oz lemon juice, 8oz extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup red wine vinegar.
- Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Whisk marinade and pour over octopus tentacles.
- Cover and let tentacles marinate for 3-4 hours.
- For Potatoes:
- Wash potatoes well and place on a sheet pan.
- Add 2oz extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and let roast in oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Keep warm until served.
- For Lemon & Olive Oil Mixture:
- In small mixing bowl, combine 3oz fresh lemon juice, 6oz extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Whisk all ingredients until mixture becomes creamy.
- Place into a squeezing bottle.
- Shake well before using.