Traditional Greek Roasted Salted Cod with Onions, Tomatoes and Raisins-Bakaliaro Plaki (serves 4-6 people)
2 lbs fresh or thawed cod
½-3/4 cup olive oil
3-4 onions sliced into thin rings
3 tomatoes chopped or a 15 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste diluted in a cup of water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chopped mint
1 bunch parsley, chopped
Juice of ½ a lemon
4-5 medium potatoes sliced in thin rounds
Salt/pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit .
2. Oil a large pan and place sliced potatoes on the bottom. They should not overlap. Layer pieces of cod on top of potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spread onions on top and add garlic, mint, parsley, and lemon.
4. Pour the tomatoes and diluted tomato paste over the cod and potatoes. Make sure paste is even throughout.
8. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook for 20-25 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook for another 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are done and all liquid (except the olive oil) is gone.
The Parthenon is located at 314 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL and can be reached at 312.726.2407