CHICAGO, December 16, 2020 – The WGN Morning News Toy Drive celebrated its 18th year, the third year that toys will go to children served by the Chicago Park District. Over 12,500 toys were donated. The Toy Drive ran from 5 a.m. – 10 a.m., featuring via zoom — carolers, Santa and other holiday fun-filled activities. Additionally, the Chicago Parks Foundation raised over $1,280 from the campaign.
TOY COLLECTION & DISTRIBUTION:
- All toys will be donated to the Chicago Park District and will be distributed to Chicago-area children and families in need. New and unwrapped toys may also be dropped off at 18 park locations citywide through Friday, Dec. 18th from 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday.
- The Chicago Park District will host 18 Winter Wonderland Express Toy Giveaways on December 19th from 10am-12pm, where children will come and grab their toy. Only one toy per child and the child must be present to receive the toy. Toys distributed ‘while supplies last.’ For a list of parks distributing toy donations, visit https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/toy-drive
- Toy drop-off & grab & go giveaway locations include: Chopin Park, 3420 N. Long Ave., Mozart Park, 2036 N. Avers Ave., Warren Park, 6621 N. Western Ave., Horner Park, 2741 W. Montrose Ave., Pottawatomie Park, 7340 N. Rogers Ave., Hamlin Park, 3035 N. Hoyne Ave., Humboldt Park, 1400 N. Humboldt Dr., Garfield Park, 100 N. Central Park, Harrison Park, 1824 S. Wood St., Archer Park, 4901 S. Kilbourn Ave., Armour Square Park, 3309 S. Shields Ave., Ellis Park, 3520 S. Cottage Grove, Marquette Park, 6734 S. Kedzie Ave., Hamilton Park, 513 W. 72nd St., Washington Park, 5531 S. Martin Luther King Dr., Hayes Park, 2936 W. 85th St., West Pullman Park, 401 W. 123rd St., Avalon Park, 1215 E. 83rd St.
TO MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION TO CHICAGO PARKS FOUNDATION:
- For viewers wishing to make financial donations this year, the Chicago Parks Foundation has been designated as the charity in partnership with the Chicago Park District. Please go to https://www.chicagoparksfoundation.org/ and then click on their DONATE link.
- Since 2013, the Chicago Parks Foundation has operated in a private-public partnership with the Chicago Park District as an independent 501(c)(3) organization, serving as a collaborative and accountable local resource for all. They bring community ideas to action, raising funds and awareness for park projects throughout the city.
The Chicago Park District has served Chicago residents for more than 85 years. It is a Gold Medal Award-winning organization, which recognizes excellence in park and recreation management across the nation. For more information about the Chicago Park District’s more than 8,800 acres of parkland, more than 600 parks, 26 miles of lakefront, 12 museums, two world-class conservatories, 16 historic lagoons, nearly 50 nature areas, thousands of special events, sports and entertainment programs, please visit ChicagoParkDistrict.com or contact the Chicago Park District at 312-742-PLAY or 312-747-2001 (TTY). Want to share your talent? Volunteer in the parks by calling 312-742-PLAY. Follow us at facebook/ChicagoParkDistrict on Instagram/ChicagoParks and on Twitter @chicagoparks.
WGN-TV is Chicago’s Very Own source for news and entertainment and is owned and operated by Nexstar Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WGN News programs more local news than any other Chicago TV station and can be seen on WGN-TV, WGNTV.com and the WGN-TV News mobile app. In-depth local weather is available on all newscasts and the WGN-TV Weather app. WGN 9.2 is Chicago’s home of Nexstar Inc.’s classic TV network, Antenna TV. WGN 9.3 is Chicago’s Court TV network affiliate and WGN 9.4 carries TBD, bringing the world of internet video to the TV screen. For more information on Chicago’s Very Own WGN-TV, go to WGNTV.com