It’s not difficult to find a donut joint here in Chicago but some are a cut above the rest and in honor of National Donut Day, we’re sharing a list of our favorites. No chains. No frills. No nonsense. Just good, old-fashioned donuts.
- Allegretti’s Bakery: This Norridge Bakery does chocolate cake donuts right. Regulars refer to the fried goodies as “crack donuts” and once you try ’em, you’ll understand why. Just one taste of the homemade fudge icing will have you hooked and keep you coming back for more. Location: 7717 W Lawrence Ave. in Norridge.
- Beaver’s Coffee and Donuts: No time? No problem. These donuts travel around town in the form of a food truck and donut mastermind Gabe Wisen fries them fresh to order. PB&J, Nutella Dream and S’mores are just a few of the inventive menu items Beaver’s offers. Location: 131 N Clinton St. in the Chicago French Market AND you can track the food truck here.
- Old Fashioned Donuts: There’s a reason this donut shop has been holding it down since 1973. There are a variety of options on the menu but you can’t go wrong with an old school glazed donut. Location: 11248 S Michigan Ave. in Roseland.
- Dat Donut: When owner Darryl Townson needed a name for his donut shop, he drew inspiration from some tiny sources. “I listened to little kids and … they can’t pronounce ‘that,’ so they say ‘Dat! I want dat one, mommy.'” Over 20 years later, kids and adults alike still list Dat as one of the best and we agree. Location: 8249 S Cottage Grove Ave. in Chatham.
- Donut Den: Three words: Maple. Bacon. Bar. We aren’t talking bacon bits. The donuts at this Joliet gem have entire pieces of bacon atop freshly fried donuts. Eat ’em now. Thank us later. Location: 3021 Theodore St. in Joliet.
Satisfy all of your cravings every Sunday night at 10pm on WGN-TV as Chicago’s Best tracks down the best food around! Like what you see? Follow along on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to get your fill of local food.