Tonya Francisco is an anchor of WGN Saturday Morning News and WGN Sunday Morning News, as of the expansion of weekend news in September 2016. Prior to that, Tonya was a general assignment reporter and fill-in anchor for WGN-TV. She joined CLTV in December of 2002 and was soon after named morning anchor. In 2012, she joined the WGN News team.

Tonya is an award-winning journalist who began her television career as a desk assistant at WLS-TV/Channel 7 in Chicago. She moved on to WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan, to become a reporter and associate producer. After a year, she worked at WJRT-TV in Flint, Michigan. While there, Tonya worked her way up from general assignment reporter to weekend anchor.

Tonya is a native Chicagoan, proud alumna of Whitney Young Magnet High School and a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago. Tonya is a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and the National Association of Black Journalists.


Recent Articles
  • 19-year-old in custody in connection to fatal Orland Square Mall shooting

    ORLAND PARK, Ill. — Officials confirmed a suspect was taken into custody in the fatal Orland Square Mall shooting. Jakharr Williams, 19, was arrested without incident in Matteson on Wednesday, according to officials. A manhunt was underway for Williams after Monday’s deadly shooting. Williams was suspected of fatally shooting 18-year-old Javon Britten of Richton Park. He was shot near the mall food court and found near an escalator. Britten was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he […]

  • Man driving by horrific crash comes to aid of woman trapped in car

    CHICAGO  — The family of a woman badly hurt in a crash Thursday on the Tri-State Tollyway is thanking the good Samaritan who came to her rescue. Frank Visconti and a friend were heading to the hospital last week for blood work. They were southbound on I-294 near Willow Road when just a few feet in front of them, Visconti saw debris flying and traffic come to a halt. As he drove by the horrific crash, Visconti felt compelled to […]

  • Manhunt underway for 19-year-old in deadly Orland Square Mall shooting

    ORLAND PARK, Ill. — A manhunt is underway for a 19-year-old man in connection with Monday’s deadly shooting at Orland Square Mall. There is an warrant out for Jakharr Williams of south suburban University Park. Police said he should be considered armed and dangerous. Williams is suspected of fatally shooting 18-year-old Javon Britten of Richton Park. He was shot near the mall food court and found near an escalator. Britten was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where […]

  • Suburban girl died of asphyxia, hypothermia in snowbank collapse

    ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, — The girl who died after a snowbank collapsed on top of her outside an Arlington Heights church died of asphyxia and hypothermia, the Cook County Medical Examiner said Monday. Her death has been ruled an accident. The medical examiner identified the child as 12-year-old Esther Jung. She was the youngest child of the pastor of Rothem Church. First responders were called to the church at 106 E. College Dr. around 2:40 p.m. Sunday. Jung and her 9-year-old […]

  • Lawyers offer free help to West Side seniors targeted by mortgage scams

    CHICAGO — While senior homeowners on the West Side say a con man cost them millions of dollars and their homes, a community activist is organizing a team of legal experts to help them fight back. Mark Diamond is a name well-known by senior homeowners on Chicago’s West Side, many of whom say they fell victim to his outrageous mortgage scams. Diamond has been sued many times, and the Illinois Attorney General eventually won an injunction to stop him for doing […]

  • Gunman in Hadiya Pendleton murder sentenced to 84 years in prison

    CHICAGO — A Cook County judge has sentenced the convicted gunman in the Hadiya Pendleton murder to 84 years in prison. Micheail Ward, now 24, spoke in his own defense Monday at a sentencing hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building, 2650 S. California Ave. He maintained his innocence in a rambling speech, occasionally cursing. Ward said there was “no video, no nothing” to link him to the shooting. “I am upset that I’m the one who’s going down for […]

  • Officials say 2 women contacted Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office with new R. Kelly allegations

    CHICAGO — At least two women have contacted the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office with new accusations against singer R. Kelly since Kim Foxx’s plea for potential victims to come forward. Foxx addressed reporters Tuesday after her office had been inundated with calls about abuse allegations in Lifetime’s “Surviving R. Kelly” documentary series. Some were tied to Kelly’s Chicago area home. She said there’s no active investigation of Kelly and launching one would require victims and witnesses. She urged anyone who […]

  • Massive Lincoln Yards development scraps planned stadium, entertainment district

    CHICAGO — It’s back to the drawing board for Sterling Bay’s proposed $5 billion Lincoln Yards development after two major components, a soccer stadium and an entertainment district, met strong opposition from residents and the local alderman. As it stands now, Alderman Brian Hopkins (D-2nd Ward) says he does not support the proposal, which would build residences, hotels and businesses on 70 acres along the North Branch of the Chicago River once home to Finkl Steel. “It all added up […]

  • Fallout from Burke charges felt in mayoral race; Council proposes reforms

    CHICAGO — In the response to corruption charges filed against powerful alderman Ed Burke, several of his City Council colleagues are proposing reforms. The aldermen want to make changes to the city council’s finance committee which Burke controls. They are calling for a third-party probe of a controversial $100 million workers comp program which Burke also controls. They also want to change rules for aldermen who recuse themselves during a city council vote and bar outside employment by city council […]

  • Inmate who alleges he was tortured in Burge era gets new murder trial

    CHICAGO  — A judge has granted a new trial to a prison inmate who contends he was beaten into confessing to a 1990 double murder he didn’t commit by a notorious squad of Chicago detectives that allegedly tortured more than 100 suspects over two decades. The Chicago Tribune reports that on Wednesday the judge also said he’ll decide Friday if he’ll allow Gerald Reed to be freed on bond after 28 years in prison. The detective Reed says beat him […]