CHICAGO — A carbon monoxide leak has been secured at Burnside Elementary Scholastic Academy on the South Side.
Fire crews were called to 650 E. 91st Place by the school's custodian just after 5 a.m. Monday for a report of high carbon monoxide levels.
Upon arrival, officials found carbon monoxide levels were at 500 parts per million, and authorities found the source to be the boiler, which has been shutdown.
The scene has been secured, and the school is being ventilating.
No injuries have been reported.
All students arriving for school were escorted to Burnside Community Baptist Church, at 639 E 91st Place. Students were then transported to Dixon Elementary School, at 8306 S St Lawrence Avenue, while CPS Facilities Team continue to work on an assessment of the situation and repairs are made.
CPS said students will be returned to Burnside Elementary School for pick up at the end of the day.
This is a developing story. Check back for details.