3 stabbed, several trampled outside Navy Pier after July Fourth fireworks

Data pix.

CHICAGO -- Several people were injured Thursday just after the July Fourth fireworks show ended at Navy Pier.

The incident happened around 10 p.m. in the 600 block of East Grand Avenue outside the secured area of Navy Pier. Chicago police said a fight broke out among a group of young men after the flashing of gang signs.

A 14-year-old boy and 15-year-old boy were stabbed in the upper body. A 30-year-old man, who was not involved, was stabbed in the face and arm. The three remain hospitalized in stable condition.

A 16-year-old boy suffered a puncture wound from an overturned table while running. He is in stable condition.

Witnesses said as people were exiting Navy Pier after the fireworks, someone yelled "gun" which triggered a stampede. But, police say panic ensued when someone threw what's believed to be firecrackers.

Fourteen people were injured in that stampede, according to police. They were taken to area hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

Video from the scene taken by Daniel Monge, captures complete chaos as people can be seen running, some yelling "Go!"

Chicago police said the bystander, who was among those stabbed, could not provide a description of the offender who is not in custody. The other individuals who were stabbed, are uncooperative with police in the investigation.

Police said they are looking for two male suspects. No arrests have been made. Area Central detectives are investigating.

Initial reports indicated a person had also been shot, but that was later found not to be true, according to police.

Anyone who may have lost any items during Thursday night's incident, can go to Navy Pier's Lost and Found site



Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.