More than 48 billion robocalls were placed in the U.S. last year, that's up 46 percent from the year before.
Senator Durbin recently introduced a bill that would make just one robocall a fineable offense, and each one would cost the caller $500. The bill also treats landlines and cell phones equally.
Jeff Vilimek joined WGN Morning News with tips on how to combat robocalls.
• Screen ALL calls
• If you don't know the number, don't answer
• Answering robocalls can lead to more spam calls
• If you do happen to answer, hang up immediately
• Don't ever call a phone number left in a voicemail
• Ensure your number is on the National Do Not Call registry