Elderly man dead after Gary house fire

GARY, Ind. — An elderly man was killed after a fire broke out at a home in Indiana.

Fire officials said a fire broke out just before 8 p.m. Monday on the 700 block of East 13th Avenue in Gary, Ind. An elderly man was cooking for a younger relative — possibly his nephew — when he fell asleep while cooking.

Neighbors rushed to help and pulled out the young boy from the home. The relative's age was unknown. He was not injured, but was taken to a hospital and was then released.

The elderly man had some health issues, according to officials. His age was not provided.

No further information was provided.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.