5318 N. Clark Street Chicago, IL 60640 (in the Andersonville neighborhood)
Dough to start, with filling and glaze.
- To make the dough mix all the ingredients together in a mixer with a dough hook for 12 minutes.
- Put into a bowl and allow to rise until doubled.
- To make the filling, mix the softened butter with the sugars and salt.
- To make the glaze, bring everything to a boil in a pot and allow to cool.
- To make the buns: once the dough has doubled, press down and roll out into a rectangle about 1/2in thick.
- Spread the filling over the rectangle evenly. Fold the dough like an envelope, on top of itself. Roll out again to ¼ in thick.
- Cut strips lengthwise and twirl to form the buns.
- Proof the buns for about 2 hours, until doubled, then egg wash and top with pearl sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze.
|Spelt Flour||½ c|
|Cardamom, ground||1 ½ tsp|
|Muscovado Sugar||1/3 cup|
|Lemon Juice||2 Tbl|