Chef Jennifer Bucko Lamplough, Director of Nutrition Programs and Executive Chef for Northern Illinois Food Bank
Northern Illinois Food Bank
273 Dearborn Court, Geneva
Additional locations in: Rockford, Joliet, Park City
American Diabetes Association – www.diabetes.org
Unstuffed Eggroll with Cauliflower Salad
Serves: 4 servings Serving Size: Approx. 1½ cups
Prep Time: 2 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 ounce bag tricolor coleslaw
- 2 tablespoons lite, gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Season pork with ¼ teaspoon black pepper and garlic powder. Sauté pork in a large skillet over medium-high heat until completely cooked. Drain fat if needed. Remove pork from pan and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add garlic; saute for 30 seconds. Add bagged coleslaw, soy sauce, ginger and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pork back to pan and top with green onions; heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or “cauliflower rice” if desired.
Cauliflower Rice Salad
Serves: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice (frozen or homemade*—see step 1 for directions how to make)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sliced kalamata olives
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
*Make your own cauliflower rice by placing cauliflower florets in a food processor and processing until rice-like consistency (be careful not to overprocess).
- In a salad bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and serve with reduced-fat feta cheese, if desired.