CHICAGO — At least two women have contacted the Cook County State's Attorney's Office with new accusations against singer R. Kelly since Kim Foxx's plea for potential victims to come forward.
Foxx addressed reporters Tuesday after her office had been inundated with calls about abuse allegations in Lifetime's "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary series. Some were tied to Kelly's Chicago area home. She said there's no active investigation of Kelly and launching one would require victims and witnesses.
She urged anyone who may be a victim to come forward and call the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Division at 773-674-6492.
There are also reports, that an arrest warrant was issued for Kelly's former manager last summer, in relation to the allegations.
Kelly is now facing eviction from his West Side recording studio if he doesn't pay off $80,000 within the next two weeks. His former landlord, Midwest Commercial, sued Kelly for $80,000 in unpaid rent on his Near West Side studio. Kelly R&B singer denied it. The suit was filed in July 2018. Midwest Commercial rented Kelly a studio at 219 N. Justine St.
Meanwhile, Kelly's attorney spoke out after Kim Foxx asked women to come forward with accusations. In an interview with WGN on Wednesday, attorney Steve Greenberg said no one in Chicago has come forward with accusations because Kelly did nothing illegal.
"There are no underage women, there is no sex cult, it's all some reality TV made up story," Greenberg said to WGN. "No one has ever seen any evidence of it. There are no photos of him with these women. There's no anything."
"Surviving R. Kelly" details more than two decades worth of sexual assault allegations, including that he tried to lure young women to join a sex cult. A report on Buzzfeed claimed that Kelly housed six different women at his properties in Chicago and Georgia. He has denied that allegation.
TMZ reported Tuesday that the singer is under criminal investigation in Georgia.
#MuteRKelly movement grows
Angi Taylor, a KISS FM morning show host, and Kendra G., a WGCI GM morning show host, were front and center of the protest leading a few dozen young women on a march that made its way to the front of R. Kelly’s West Town recording studio.
The two are part of the #MuteRKelly that’s putting pressure on radio stations to stop playing Kelly’s music in light of the sexual abuse allegations against him. They said many have been so willing to overlook the accusations because his music is such a huge part of people’s lives.
The morning show hosts both said they are speaking out despite their radio stations refusing to say whether they plan to stop playing Kelly’s music.
WGCI and KISS FM are part of iHeart Media, but the two hosts said they have refused to allow the artist’s music to be played during their shows. Neither expects to be punished for speaking out.
Two other stations in Chicago, Power 92 and Soul 106.3 said they made the decision to stop playing Kelly’s music eight months ago.
Two radio stations in Dallas have stopped playing Kelly's music. Larger radio companies, like iHeartMedia and Cumulus Media, have not made any policy changes yet.
Kenyette Barnes, co-founder of the #MuteRKelly campaign, has been working to get all of R. Kelly's concerts cancelled and his music pulled from radio and streaming platforms.
When asked about Greenberg's comments, Barnes told WGN: "Well the fact that Mr. Greenberg is R. Kelly's third attorney in about 15 months speaks a lot to how much I believe the credibility of his testimony."
For more information about #MuteRKelly, click here.