The French Pastry School – located at 226 W. Jackson Blvd in the Loop
Tropical Ice Cream Sandwiches
Yield: 12 sandwiches
|Egg whites||200 g||¾ Cup + 1 TB + 1 Tsp|
|Granulated sugar||320 g||1 ½ Cup + 1 TB|
|Unsweetened coconut||200 g||2 ⅔ Cups|
|Applesauce||20 g||1 TB|
|Sea salt||1 g||¼ Tsp|
|Coconut shavings||80g||1 Cup|
|Confectioner’s sugar||As needed||As needed|
- Heat the first 5 ingredients (egg whites, sugar, coconut, applesauce, and salt) in a mixing bowl over a bain marie (double boiler). Continually mix until it reaches 167°F / 75°C.
- Remove from heat and cool for three hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Using a piping bag, pipe 24 round 2 ½” disks onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with the coconut shavings and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool. Then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to use.
Mango Vanilla Frozen Mousse
|Heavy cream||120 g||½ Cup + 1 Tsp|
|Whole milk||60 g||¼ Cup|
|Granulated sugar||45 g||¼ Cup less 1 Tsp|
|Honey||10g||1 ½ Tsp|
|Vanilla extract||5 g||1 ¼ Tsp|
|Dark rum (optional)||5g||1 ¼ Tsp|
|Egg yolks||40 g||2 TB + 2 Tsp|
|Mango jam||50 g||2 TB|
|Dried or candied pineapple||50g||¼ Cup|
- Use a silicone muffin mold or line a standard muffin pan with plastic wrap or baking cups.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks in a stand mixer and refrigerate.
- Place the milk, sugar, honey, vanilla, and rum in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Add the egg yolks and place on low heat while stirring. Continue to heat and stir until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spatula.
- Strain mixture into a stand mixer bowl and whip until cool.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Add the mango jam and mix slightly to create a swirl pattern.
- Fill the mold half way with the mousse.
- Place candied pineapple pieces in the mold on top of the mousse.
- Cover with remaining mousse and freeze for 3 hours or overnight.
- Unmold frozen mousse and sandwich between two coconut cookies.
- Keep in freezer until ready to serve.