2.5 C cornmeal
2.25 C flour
1 T baking soda
1/8 C Baking Powder
1/8 C Sugar
3 T Salt
1.5 T Garlic Powder
1.5 T Black Pepper
1/2 T Paprika
1/2 T Cayenne
2 1/4 C Buttermilk
1 medium onion (diced finely)
- mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs, and diced onion in another bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, and use a plastic spatula to fold ingredients together.
- Use a small scoop to drop hush puppy batter directly into frying oil (375 degrees F). Hush puppies will float to the top as they cook and will have to be turned occasionally for even cooking. Fry for 5-8 minutes or until firm to the touch (there should be no give when you squeeze them with 2 fingers).
Jalapeño Cream Cheese Sauce
1 pt half and half
1/2 pound jalapeños (Large Dice)
1 2/3 T Salt
1 pound cream cheese (diced into cubes)
- Combine half and half, diced jalapeños, and salt into a pot and simmer until cream is reduced to the consistency of heavy cream (about 15 min over medium heat). Whisk occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add to blender while still hot and blend on high until mixture is well incorporated.
- With blender still running, add chunks of cream cheese, one piece at a time, waiting until each piece is fully incorporated before adding more.
- Move contents from blender to a squeeze bottle.