Man fatally shot by Chicago police on South Side; 4 protesters arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO — Angry protesters flocked to the streets Saturday after a man was killed in an officer-involved shooting on the South Side.

It happened about 5:30 p.m. in the 2000 block of East 71st Street in the city's South Shore neighborhood.

According to a statement from the Chicago Police Department, "Officers assigned to a foot assignment observe a man exhibiting characteristics of an armed person. Officers go to question him when a confrontation ensues and he is shot. The man was fatally wounded. A weapon [was] recovered on the scene."

Chicago police patrol chief Fred Waller said at a news conference that the man became combative and eventually broke free from the officers.

"They thought he appeared to be reaching for a weapon, which he did have a weapon on him, and the officers tragically shot him," he said.

The man was taken in critical condition to a nearby hospital, where he later died.

The man's identity is being withheld pending family notification. Witnesses on the scene said he was a local barber. Waller said police believe the man did not have a concealed carry permit for the semi-automatic weapon. He also had magazines of ammunition, Waller said.

Protesters rushed the streets; a large crowd was still gathered three hours after the man was killed. Police could be seen using batons as protesters hurled bottles at officers. At least one man jumped on a squad car.

Several officers were injured, police said. Four demonstrators were arrested. No charges have been announced.

Per department policy, the officer who fired the gun will be placed on administrative leave for 30 days as officials investigate.

Chicago has a troubled history of police shootings. The city erupted in protest in 2015 after the release of a video showing white police officer Jason Van Dyke shooting black 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014. Van Dyke was charged with murder. McDonald's death led to the ouster of the police chief and a series of reforms designed to prevent future police abuses and to hold officers accountable.

Data pix.

WGN's Gaynor Hall was on the scene speaking with people Saturday.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.