Bartlett student injured in science experiment gone wrong; teacher suspended

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BARTLETT, Ill. — A teacher at a suburban high school was suspended Friday after a student was injured in a science experiment.

The science teacher at Bartlett High School was reportedly showing students an experiment with liquid nitrogen. The student was lying on the floor as part of the demonstration.

“[A small amount] was meant to be poured on his chest,” senior Casper Tokarz said. But "he poured all of it on him, and it instantly just burned him.”

Sources tell WGN News the student was severely burned in his groin area after the teacher poured the liquid nitrogen on him. The teacher has been with the school a long time and has done this experiment in the past, sources said.

The district said the teacher involved was put on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

Friday was the last day of school.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.