“WGN-TV PAT’S PICKS 2018” OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN, NOR WILL A PURCHASE IMPROVE ONE’S CHANCES OF WINNING.
ALL FORMS MUST BE FILLED OUT COMPLETELY AND TRUTHFULLY. FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE ENTRY FORM AND PROVIDE TRUTHFUL AND PERTINENT INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE CONTEST. DISQUALIFICATION IS IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF SPONSOR.
WGN-TV will conduct the Pat’s Picks College Basketball Bracket Contest (the “Contest”) in accordance with these Official Rules. Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, these Rules. The Contest is intended for play in the Chicagoland area only and is void where prohibited and outside the eligibility area set forth below. Do not participate if you are not eligible and located in the Chicagoland area at the time of entry.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be legal US residents, at least 18 years old or above, as determined by WGN-TV and reside in the Chicagoland area. Entrants must be legal residents of Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, LaSalle, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties in Illinois, or Jasper, LaPorte, Lake, Newton and Porter Counties in Indiana. Employees of WGN-TV and of its parent and affiliated companies (collectively, the “Sponsor”), Hooters, the Contest promotional agencies, and advertising agencies, employees of other television or radio stations, and members of the immediate families of such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, and any other person residing at the same household whether or not related. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Contest Period: The contest pre-registration begins on or about March 5, 2018. The Contest opens for team selection on or about Sunday, March 11, 2018 CT and ends on or about March 15, 2018 at tip off of the first game, 11am CST. The contest ends on April 2 with the championship game.
3. Contest Entry: To enter the Contest, go to wgntv.com/contest and accurately complete the official entry form and then pick winners of games as set forth below.
4. How to Play:
Full Bracket Game
In the “Full Bracket” game, you pick the winner of each game of each round of the tournament prior to the start of the first full round of the tournament (the round of 64 teams) (hereafter referred to as the “First Round”).
Select the team that you predict will win each game of the Men’s College Basketball Tournament and enter the score for the designated tie-breaker game. You may enter your picks until the scheduled tip-off of the first game of the First Round of the tournament. You will not be required to pick the winners of the “First Four” play-in games. Limit one (1) entry per person.
Each round of the tournament is worth up to 64 points. There are 6 rounds in the tournament worth up to 384 points. You will receive 2 points for each First Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 4 points for each Second Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 8 points for each Third Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 16 points for each Fourth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 32 points for each Fifth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 64 points for picking the winner of the Championship game. If a game is canceled, forfeited, or indefinitely suspended for any reason, that game shall not count for any participant and scores will be computed as if the game did not exist.
The participant with the highest score for each round will be deemed the round winner, subject to verification by the Upickem Promotional Platform. The participant with the highest total score for all rounds combined will be deemed the Full Bracket Grand Prize winner, subject to verification of eligibility. If a game is canceled, forfeited, or indefinitely suspended for any reason, that game will not count for any participant and scores will be computed as if the game did not exist.
In the event of a tie for the highest score in any round, the winner for the round will be randomly selected from among the tied participants.
In the event of a tie for the highest overall score, the “Score Approximation Formula” outlined below will be used to determine the Grand Prize winner.
Score Approximation Formula:
Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the winning team from the actual winning team’s score and square this value.
Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the losing team from the actual losing team’s score and squares this value.
Add the value from 1 and 2 above together to get the participant’s “score approximation.”
The tied participant with the lowest “Score Approximation” will be deemed the winner.
If there are still ties, the ties will be broken based on the following criteria in this order:
The most points earned in the Fifth Round.
The most points earned in the Fourth Round.
The most points earned in the Third Round.
The most points earned in the Second Round.
The most points earned in the First Round.
If there is still a tie, the winner will be randomly selected from the remaining tied players.
All received entries become the property of WGN-TV and will not be returned. Incomplete entries will be disqualified. Entrants may be required to become registered users of the website and may not enter the Contest more than once. Multiple entries by means of software-generated or other automated processes will be disregarded. Detection of said automated entry will lead to such entries being voided in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Only one registered account per entry. If multiple accounts are detected for a single entrant, the accounts will be voided and the entries will be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion. If there is a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address or account used to register will be deemed to be the registrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. Sponsor reserves the right to use any and all information related to the Contest, including information on entrants obtained through the Contest, for marketing purposes or any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
6. Winner Notifications: Sponsor will attempt to notify the winners by email as follows for the following SIX rounds, PLUS Overall Winner: First Round (64 teams competing), begins on March 15, 2018; Second Round (32 teams competing), begins on March 17, 2018; Third Round (16 teams competing), begins on March 22, 2018; Fourth Round (eight teams competing), begins on March 24, 2018; Fifth Round (four teams competing), is on March 31, 2018; and Sixth Round (two teams competing), is on April 2, 2018.
Winners must have a valid email address where they can be notified. Winners are subject to verification by WGN-TV of the winner’s name, age, address, phone number, and Social Security number (where the prize value is equal to or greater than $600.00). In order to claim his or her prize, each winner must appear in person at the business offices of WGN-TV, located at 2501 West Bradley Place, Chicago, IL 60618. Winners will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability and Publicity, and may be required to provide a completed W-9, per Section 9 below. Failure to do so will disqualify the winner. If a winner is unreachable after seven days, if that winner is not in compliance with the Rules or is otherwise ineligible under the Rules, if that winner is unavailable for prize fulfillment, or if the winner is disqualified as set forth herein, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize to another winner by applying the criteria set forth above or to not award that winner’s prize at all. If Sponsor cannot find an eligible winner for the prize, that prize will not be awarded. All results are unofficial until winners are verified.
5. Local Prizes: For WGN-TV’s “Pat’s Picks” Sweepstakes, each of the 6 Round winners will receive a $100 gift card from Hooters (ARV: $100). The Overall Local Winner (Grand Prize Winner) will be awarded a $200 Gift Card from Hooters (ARV: $200). Prizes are provided by Hooters.
Winner of Full Bracket game individual rounds – One college basketball themed Fathead of the winner’s choosing. The approximate retail value of the weekly prize is $89.
Overall Winner of Full Bracket – One college basketball themed Fathead of the winner’s choosing, approximate retail value of $89, and a PlayStation 4 Pro, approximate retail value $249.
Overall Winner of 16 Team Bracket – One college basketball themed Fathead of the winner’s choosing, approximate retail value of $89, and a PlayStation 4 Pro, approximate retail value $249.
Overall Winner of 4 Team Bracket – One college basketball themed Fathead of the winner’s choosing, approximate retail value of $89, and a PlayStation 4 Pro, approximate retail value $249.
National Bonus Prizes:
One (1) $1,000,000 cash annuity prize* will be awarded if a participant correctly picks all 63 games correctly. If more than one participant correctly picks all 63 games correctly, the $1,000,000 cash prize will be evenly divided and distributed among all participants who correctly picked all 63 games.
This prize will not be awarded unless someone correctly picks the required number of games. Determination of cash prize winners, verification of eligibility, and compliance with these rules will be conducted by SCA Promotions, Inc., whose decision will be final.
*If won, the $1,000,000 prize will be awarded as an annuity.
6. Prize Restrictions: Only one winner per household. Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash or substituted for any other items by any winner. Prizes are non-assignable and non-transferrable. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a comparable prize of like or greater value, including cash, for any prize, for any reason. Costs of transportation and accommodations, where applicable and any other cost not specifically included in the prize are the sole responsibility of the winners. Gift cards subject to terms and conditions thereon. All properly claimed prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of eligible entries are received, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Rules.
7. Publicity Release: By participating in the Contest, each entrant acknowledges that his/her entry in the Contest constitutes that entrant’s consent to use, publish, reproduce and for all purposes, including publicity, promotion and advertising, in any media (including without limitation, the Internet, television or offline promotions), each winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, and/or hometown and state, and any portion thereof, each extending throughout the universe and in perpetuity without further compensation, credit or right of review or approval, except where prohibited by law.
8. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY CIRCUMVENT, DISRUPT, OR DAMAGE ORDINARY AND NORMAL OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST, TELEPHONE SYSTEMS OR WEBSITE, OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS PROHIBITED AND MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
9. Taxes: Any valuation of the prize(s) stated above is based on available information provided to WGN-TV, and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. All taxes, including federal, state, and local taxes, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Any person winning over $600.00 in total prizes will receive a 1099 form from Sponsor at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form should be filed with the IRS. Each winner must provide Sponsor with valid identification, and a valid taxpayer identification number or Social Security number for total prizes valued at $600.00 or more, before any prize will be awarded. Sponsor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to require any winner to complete and submit an IRS form W-9. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold prizes until the completed W-9 form is received.
10. Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest or any portion hereof, or to disqualify any individual implicated in any of the following actions, if for any reason: (a) infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by entrants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, (b) the Contest or any website associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper processing of entries per these Rules, (c) the Contest becomes corrupted due to interruption in wireless calling devices or wireless service for any reason, or (d) the Contest is otherwise not capable of running as planned. If Sponsor terminates the Contest during the Contest Period, it will determine the winner of the Round in which the Contest is terminated by applying the criteria set forth above to eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the termination date. If Sponsor terminates or modifies the Contest, Sponsor will post notice on the official Contest website. By entering, entrants represent that they are eligible and agree to be bound by and comply with the Rules and the decisions of any judges, which are final on all matters pertaining to the Contest. Any entrant who attempts to tamper with this Contest in any way or use fraudulent means to participate in and/or win the Contest shall be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant at any time, for any reason, including, without limitation, language, activities or behavior deemed inappropriate. Sponsor and its advertising and promotion agencies are not responsible for cancellations, postponements, or delays. Other than the prizes received by the winner, no entrant will be entitled to receive any wages, benefits, fees or other compensation whatsoever as a result of participating in the Contest. Sponsor will have the sole discretion to administer the Contest and interpret and apply the Rules. This Contest is not intended for gambling. If Sponsor determines that an entrant is using the Contest for gambling purposes, such entrant may be disqualified and reported to the authorities.
11. Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to release, discharge, and hold harmless Sponsors and its/their respective affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, officers, directors, employees, representatives, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, death or property damage resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, delivery, possession, misuse or use of a prize (including any travel or activity related thereto), or from participation in and/or entry into or creation of an entry for the Contest and/or the broadcast or exploitation or use of entry or any other Contest-related activity; and (b) that the Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize. In consideration for his or her participation in the Contest, each entrant agrees to hold harmless and indemnify the Released Parties from any and all claims, demands and/or causes of action of any nature or kind whatsoever, whether presently known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen, that arise out of the entrant’s participation in the Contest, including attorneys’ fees.
12. Limitation of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible or liable for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information or other errors in the printing, offering or administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize(s), (b) any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in operation or transmission at any website, or wireless calling service, interrupted or unavailable network, server or other conditions, (c) failure of any entry to be received by Sponsor due to technical problems, telephone service problems, human error, or wireless calling service, (d) communication line, hardware and/or software failures, malfunction of phones (including wireless phones/handsets), phone lines, other communications malfunctions, unavailable network connections, cellular equipment towers, telephone systems or wireless service, (e) damage to any computer (software or hardware) resulting from participation in the Contest, or damage to mobile phone or other PDA device, (f) theft or destruction of, tampering with, unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries and/or entry information, (g) entries which are late, lost, stolen, damaged, illegible, and/or unintelligible (or any combination thereof), or (h) any change of email address, mailing address, telephone number and/or any other contact information provided by entrant. Any expenses incurred by the entrant during the entry process are the sole responsibility of each entrant and the Sponsor will not issue reimbursement for any expenses. Any failure by Sponsor to enforce any of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of such Official Rules.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES.
13. Choice of Law/Forum: All entrants agree, by participation in the Contest, to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts of Illinois. Illinois law will govern this Contest, without regard Illinois’ choice of law rules. The courts of Illinois will be the exclusive forum for any dispute regarding any Rule or activity associated with the Contest.
15. Official Rules: To request a copy of the Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to WGN-TV, located at 2501 West Bradley Place, Chicago, IL 60618, by April 30, 2018. Written copies of these Rules are also available during normal business hours (8:30 am – 5:00 pm CT) at WGN-TV’s business offices or online at http://www.wgntv.com/contests.
16. Names of Winners: For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to WGN-TV, located at 2501 West Bradley Place, Chicago, IL, or appear in person at that location between normal business hours 8:30 am – 5:00 pm CT after April 30, 2018. Requests for winners list must be received by May 31, 2018.
17. Rights Reserved: The content, information, data, designs and code associated with the Contest and Contest website are protected by intellectual property and other laws. Any unauthorized use of copyrighted materials, trademarks, or any other intellectual property of Sponsors and/or UPICKEM without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited. UPICKEM is a trademark of Second Street Media, Inc.
18. Sponsor: WGN-TV, 2501 West Bradley Place, Chicago, IL 60618, Hooters.