Rachael Ray stopped by WGN Morning News Friday, so we had her judge some dishes prepared by some of our news team.
Dean Richards made Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
FOR THE CHILI:
· 1 (1.5 pound) butternut squash, peeled, cut into half inch pieces
· 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
· 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
· 1 can great northern beans , drained and rinsed
· 1 red bell pepper , diced
· 1 poblano pepper (or green bell), diced
· 1 sweet onion , diced
· 1 can petite diced tomatoes
· 5 cloves garlic , minced
· 2 teaspoons chili powder
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
I also added 2 - 6 ounce cans of tomato paste to add some thickness.
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
· Sour Cream
1. Place all chili ingredients in the slow cooker, mix, and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until butternut squash is tender.
2. Serve with desired toppings.
Larry Potash made Novia Scotia Chop Suey
2 cans Campbell’s tomato soup
10 oz. macaroni
1 pound beef
1/2 tsp pepper
Tsp. secret ingredient
Cortney Hall made her grandmother's recipe for Lemon Bars
The crust: Mix a cup of flour, with almost a stick of butter and 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Press to bottom of square baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20min until lightly brown
Filling: Mix a cup of sugar, two eggs, baking powder, lemon juice (about a half of a juicy lemon), 2 table spoons of flour, pour on crust and bake again for about 30 mins
Glaze: Mix half lemon, about a cup maybe a little more of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter, whisk. And pour over squares when they are done and still warm so it will spread
Winner: Dean Richard's butternut squash chilli!