Mom’s Spinach Pie by Adam Richman
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 10-ounce boxes of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1 pound low-fat/part-skim ricotta cheese
1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into small chunks
2 large eggs, beaten
¾ cup dry bread crumbs (I favor Progresso Italian bread crumbs for mine)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Loccatelli), for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large glass or ceramic baking dish with about ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the diced onion and a large pinch of salt. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the onions to a large bowl.
- Add the spinach, ricotta, ¾ of the mozzarella, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl and USE YOUR HANDS to mix combine. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, if using.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the pie is set and the top is golden and slightly crusty.
- To serve, cut into wedges or just spoon onto plates.
Credit: Straight-Up Tasty: Meals, Memories, and Mouthfuls from My Travels by Adam Richman