CHICAGO -- A gas leak this morning forced elementary school students to evacuate the O.A. Thorpe Scholastic Academy in the Portage Park neighborhood.
Early this morning, before any children had arrived at the school at 6024 West Warwick Avenue, school staffers noticed the gas smell and told administrators, who quickly ordered an evacuation.
People's Gas technicians have been able to determine that the source of this gas leak is the boilers at Thorpe Scholastic Academy.
CPS contractors are working to make the necessary repairs.
The evacuated children were taken to the nearby Smyser Elementary School.
No injuries are reported.
But the cold weather is making matters difficult.
It does not appear that students or teachers will return to Thorpe Scholastic Academy today.
People's Gas says engineers have to sign off on the repair and make sure that it is absolutely safe to reopen the school.
There is no word on how long it will be before the students are able to return.