3 Chicago women killed in Milwaukee Uber crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE, Wis. – The search continues for a suspect who fled the scene of a deadly Uber crash this weekend in Milwaukee that killed three young Chicago women and injured their driver.

Early Sunday morning, 32-year-old Amy Taylor, 30-year-old Ashley Sawatzke, and 35-year-old Lindsey Cohen were riding in the back of an Uber in downtown Milwaukee.

The Ford Fusion was driving through a stoplight when a Lexus SUV ran the red light and broadsided it. Two of the women were killed instantly, and the third died later at the hospital. The 41-year-old Uber driver was injured and will be okay.

Milwaukee police say after the crash, the two people inside the Lexus took off on foot. But one turned himself in to Milwaukee police Monday.

All three victims worked in advertising here Chicago, and were friends from work. Taylor and Cohen worked at Energy BBDO on Michigan Ave. This afternoon, the company’s CEO  said in a statement:

We are absolutely devastated by the loss of these three incredible, exuberant young women who were taken from us far too soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and loved ones at this tragic moment. The grief of their absence is felt deeply across our Energy BBDO family.

Sawatzke had recently left the company to work for famed Chicago firm Leo Burnett, which said:

We are deeply saddened by the tragic news of Ashley passing. She was a valued and loved member of the Leo Burnett family. Our thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family at this time.

And Uber said:

“We are devastated to hear of this tragic accident and extend our deepest thoughts to all those grieving for the loss of their loved ones. We will support the police investigation in every way we can.”

Milwaukee police continue its investigation into the circumstances of this crash and are questioning the one person who turned themselves in. As of Monday, no charges were filed.