Gas leak causes home explosion in Romeoville

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ROMEOVILLE -- Two town-homes were destroyed and two workers injured when a gas leak caused an explosion in a Romeoville subdivision Tuesday night.

Workers from NICOR were repairing a gas leak at the time of the blast, city officials say. Two were injured, one seriously, and they are currently receiving treatment.

Several other units around the explosion were evacuated and emergency personnel from NICOR, Romeoville Public Works, Fire Department, Police Department, Emergency Management, Building Department and the Lockport Fire Protection District were all on the scene.

Gas was still being detected as NICOR worked to shut off the main in the area Tuesday night.

Residents captured images of the fire as it broke out near the corner of Wespark Blvd. and Strawflower Ct. in the Wespark subdivision.

This is a developing story, please check back here for more details.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.