Cubs Game Notes For Friday @ Houston
* Over the last three weeks, the Houston Astros (13-6) have been even better than the high-flying Chicago Cubs (12-7).
* The ‘Stros have banged out at least one extra-base hit in each of their last 75 games, which is the longest active streak in MLB. It is the second-longest streak in franchise history, behind an 83-game streak from June 28, 2003 to April 5, 2004.
* As good as Cubs pitching has been overall this season, it has been even more dominant in interleague play (13-4, 1.81); only one other team has posted a sub-2.00 ERA against the other league since that scheduling began 20 seasons ago, the 2011 Mariners (9-9, 1.68).
* Jon Lester has allowed two or fewer runs in each of his last seven starts, which ties him with teammate Kyle Hendricks for the second-longest active streak behind Rich Hill’s eight.
* Jose Altuve (189) currently leads Mookie Betts (185) by four hits for the AL lead. If he holds on, he would become just the fifth player in history to lead the American League in hits for three straight seasons (Cobb, Oliva, Puckett, Ichiro). Altuve is 11 hits away from joining Rogers Hornsby (1920-22) and Charlie Gehringer (1933-37) as the only second basemen to tally 200+ hits in at least three straight seasons (based on primary position each season).