11-year-old boy dies while playing ‘choking game’ in South Carolina

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An 11-year-old boy in South Carolina died while playing "the choking game."

Garrett Pope Jr. "took the terrible game too far," his father, Garrett Pope said in a Facebook post.

Pope says he has no idea where his son learned about the game, guessing it came from other kids at school or in the neighborhood.

Also known as the fainting game, kids purposefully choke themselves or each other, cutting off blood flow to the brain to feel a brief moment of euphoria.

"My family has never felt pain like this before, and we don’t anyone else to go through what we are going through. Please talk about this with your kids, and do everything you can to prevent a similar tragedy. He was so young and impressionable, he didn’t know what he was doing, and made a terrible mistake," Pope said.

The CDC says more than 80 people died playing the game between 1995 and 2007.

A non-profit group that advocates against playing estimates more than 250 people die each year.

Signs your kid may be playing include bloodshot eyes, frequent severe headaches and marks on their necks.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.