White Sox Game Notes For Tuesday @ Kansas City
* In the nine games between the White Sox and the Royals so far this season, Kansas City has won seven of them, holding the White Sox offense to a combined total of just 30 runs (average of 3.3 runs per game).
* The White Sox lost on Sunday at home to the Orioles, 10-2. James Shields gave up eight earned runs in just 1.1 innings, marking the fifth time this season that the White Sox starter has failed to complete two innings, tied for most in the majors. It was also the fifth time a Chicago starter has allowed at least eight earned runs in a single game, tied for most in the majors.
* The Royals won each of their last two games versus the Blue Jays at home, allowing six or fewer hits in each game, and outscoring Toronto by a combined 11-3 in the victories. The last time Kansas City had a three-game winning streak was nearly two months ago (June 17-19).
* Chris Sale took the loss despite throwing an eight-inning complete game in his last start (in Detroit), allowing just two runs while striking out a season-high 10. In doing so, he became the first pitcher this season to record a loss while throwing a complete game and striking out at least 10.
* Edinson Volquez allowed eight runs (seven earned) over five innings last Wednesday against the Rays, taking the loss, and dropping to 0-2 (5.63 ERA) in four post All-Star break starts. It was the third time that Volquez has allowed at least eight runs in a game this season, tying him with James Shields for most such instances in the majors.
* Jose Abreu went 3-for-4 on Sunday, also hitting his third home run in his last four contests. Abreu is 6-for-16 (.375 BA) with a homer and two RBI during his current four-game hitting streak vs. the Royals.