BRUSSELS — Belgian prosecutors have identified the machete-wielding man who attacked two policewomen as a 33-year-old Algerian known to police for criminal offenses but not for terrorist acts.
The Federal Prosecutor’s Office said Sunday that the man, who it identified only as K.B., had lived in Belgium since 2012. It also said two police searches had been carried out overnight in the Charleroi area.
The man was fatally shot by police Saturday afternoon after attacking and wounding two policewomen outside the main police station in Charleroi, a city in French-speaking southern Belgium.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said earlier that the prosecutors were investigating the attack as a possible case of “attempted terrorist murder.”
He spoke to reporters following an emergency meeting with top Belgian law enforcement officials on Sunday morning. Michel cut short his vacation in the south of France to hurry back to Brussels following the attack in the southern Belgian city.