White Sox Game Notes For Tuesday @ Detroit
* The White Sox lost in Minnesota, 6-4, on Sunday, dropping the series to the Twins 2-1. Since the All-Star break, Chicago is averaging just 3.0 runs per game. Only the Orioles (2.94) are averaging fewer.
* The Tigers crushed the Astros, 11-0, in Detroit on Sunday, completing a three-game sweep. Detroit has now won six straight, and pulled themselves within 4.5 games of the Indians in the AL Central after Sunday, which improved to 4.0 games back with Cleveland’s loss to Minnesota on Monday. The Tigers are currently 1.5 games out of a wild card spot.
* The White Sox and Tigers have played 10 times this season, and Detroit has a slight edge, winning six. Three of the four Chicago wins have come via walkoff while the Tigers’ wins have come by an average of 3.2 runs.
* James Shields threw 7.2 shutout innings against the Cubs at U.S. Cellular Field on Friday, earning his fifth win of the season. It was just the second time in his 21 starts this season that he hasn’t allowed a run.
* In his last start back on July 24 in Chicago, Anibal Sanchez allowed four runs (all earned) in 6.0 innings against the White Sox, taking a no decision. Sanchez also made two relief appearances against the White Sox earlier this season in June, allowing one run in a combined 3.0 innings pitched.
* With his first career grand slam on Sunday, James McCann is on a five-game RBI streak, tied for the longest of his career. McCann, who has 15 career home runs, now has three in his last four games.