2 more arrested in France truck terror attack, dozens still hospitalized
PARIS — French authorities have detained two more people in the investigation into the Bastille Day truck attack on the Mediterranean city of Nice that killed at least 84 people.
An official with the Paris prosecutor’s office, which oversees national terrorism investigations, said a man and a woman were detained Sunday morning in Nice but provided no details on their identities. The official said five people detained previously remain in custody.
Authorities are trying to determine whether truck driver Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian who had lived in Nice for years, was acting alone in Thursday night’s deadly attack.
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, though people close to him noted no signs of radicalism, just anger.
With scores still hospitalized, France’s health minister is visiting Nice.
Meanwhile, French authorities say they still haven’t identified 16 of those killed and one person who was wounded.
The government says 84 people were killed and 202 injured in the attack, including many tourists from multiple countries.
An official with a special victims’ center in Nice told reporters Sunday that 16 bodies remain unidentified, and forensic experts are working with DNA samples to determine their identities. The official did not give his name.
Health Minister Marisol Touraine said Sunday that one hospitalized person remains unidentified. In all, 85 people are still hospitalized after the attack, 18 of them in critical condition.
Many family members have been frustrated by a lack of information about their missing loved ones.