BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – A fireworks show in Bridgeview for tonight has been canceled due to a premature detonation.
The city of Bridgeview said in a statement that a pyrotechnician was injured with burns to his arms and hand when a firework being placed for a Fourth of July celebration exploded at around 1 p.m. Sunday.
The city says the fireworks installer, who was a professional, was inserting a baseball-sized firework into a tube when friction caused a spark that ignited the firework. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.
The explosion also set off most of the remaining fireworks in rapid succession, prompting officials to cancel the show that was scheduled for 9:20 p.m.
“Village officials are wishing the pyro-technician the best in recovering but it is a tragic reminder of how dangerous fireworks can be,” Ray Hanania, a media consultant for the Village of Bridgeview and the Bridgeview Park District, said in a statement. “This accident involved someone who is professionally trained to handle fireworks and to anticipate these kinds of accidents. Imagine what can happen to members of the public who think fireworks are safe. Things can easily go wrong and fireworks are very dangerous and should not be taken lightly.”
The park district said earlier today they were working to reschedule the show.