Cubs Game Notes For Monday vs. St. Louis
* St. Louis dropped a 5-4 home decision to the Rangers yesterday, losing its season-high fifth straight game (all at Busch Stadium) by a combined score of 19-10. Ironically, the Cards have won five consecutive road contests, outscoring their hosts by a combined 37-16 in those triumphs.
* Chicago shellacked Pittsburgh, 10-5, at Wrigley Field on Sunday night, sweeping the Bucs over the weekend, and improving to 11-2 in its last 13 home games overall (dating to May 27). The 10 runs put on the board by the Cubs last night were their most at Wrigley since a 14-5 victory over the D-backs on September 4 last year (last 45 home games).
* The Cubs have taken each of their first two series with the Cardinals in 2016, winning two of three in both matchups at Busch Stadium. These clubs have split their last 14 meetings in Chicago, each winning seven times.
* Jaime Garcia went 6.1 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) six days ago vs. Houston, taking the loss, and dropping to 1-4 with a 5.93 ERA in his last six starts. Garcia is 1-0 with a 2.14 ERA in three career starts vs. the Cubs at Wrigley Field.
* John Lackey allowed just two runs (both earned) in 6.0 IP last Tuesday in Washington D.C., but the bullpen couldn’t hold the lead, and he garnered a no-decision for the effort. Lackey is 4-1 with a 1.72 ERA in his nine starts (3-1 with a 4.97 ERA in his first four outings of 2016).
* Anthony Rizzo went 3-for-4 with a homer and three RBI yesterday, going deep for the second straight game, and for the third time in the last four contests overall. Rizzo is batting .385 with six bombs and 18 RBI in his last 19 games.