Cigarette caused massive fire in Lakeview, officials say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Officially say a cigarette is to blame for the massive fire earlier this week on Chicago’s North Side.

Investigators say  the fire in Lakeview was sparked by “an improperly discarded cigarette on an enclosed back porch.”

The fire burned destroyed one building and damaged seven other in the 3300 block of N Marshfield.

41 fire companies and 127 firefighters in total responded.

A firefighter suffered burns to the arm and was taken to the hospital in good condition.

No other injuries were reported.

Some people were without power for a time, including the local YMCA, which closed for the night.

Traffic was diverted in the area.