Chicago-area teen dies after taking ‘Molly’ at Milwaukee night club

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Kara Starr.

Kara Starr. Photo credit: Andrew J. Mcgann & Sons Funeral Home

MILWAUKEE -- An 18-year-old woman from the Chicago area has died after taking "Molly," a synthetic drug that alters mood and perception, at a Milwaukee night club.

Kara Starr, of Minooka, Ill., was pronounced dead at Aurora Sinai Hospital early on Sunday morning. A funeral will be held for Starr on Friday in Evergreen Park. More details on funeral services here.

Starr was at The Rave, located at 2401 W. Wisconsin Ave., for the Zomboy concert -- an electronic music DJ on an 18-city tour.

WITI obtained surveillance video from the Quick Pick Food Mart on Wisconsin Avenue which captured the urgent scene as it unfolded. At 2:23 a.m. Sunday, an emergency vehicle pulled up to The Rave after receiving a 911 call for an unresponsive girl. At 2:29 a.m., a second emergency vehicle arrives. Eighteen minutes later, they pull away.

According to the medical examiner's report, Starr tested positive for amphetamines and cannabinoids at the hospital. The report indicates Starr had been seizing at The Rave. An EMT who works at The Rave told officials Starr had been talking prior to the arrival of Milwaukee Fire Department officials at The Rave. She indicated that she was at The Rave with her 17-year-old boyfriend, and that she had taken ".4 of Molly."

The Rave has issued a statement on this matter. It reads as follows:

"On Saturday night/early Sunday morning our staff was made aware of a problem with an 18-year-old female patron.  We took immediate action to assess her condition under the supervision of a medical professional. Her boyfriend informed us that drugs were purchased and ingested before the woman and her boyfriend arrived at the venue.  After undergoing observation, 911 was contacted and the woman was transported to the hospital. The Rave/Eagles Club takes every precaution to ensure that our patrons enjoy our shows in a safe environment.

"We extend our sincere condolences to her family and friends."

The preliminary manner of death in this case has been ruled an accident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.