Boy suffers severe burns after using school bathroom

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CAMBRIDGE, Ontario — A mother is suing the school board for $250,000 after her son received chemical burns from a toilet seat.

It happened to a seven-year-old boy last month at Stewart Avenue Public School.

According to CTV Kitchener News, the child used the school’s washroom and later that day, he noticed a red rash similar to a sunburn on his legs. The rash later began to bubble and ooze.

The toilet had been cleaned with a harsh disinfectant.

His mother said the burns were so severe he couldn’t wear pants for two weeks and had to stay home from school.

Officials say all the school’s cleaning products have been inspected and they’re taking the matter very seriously.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.