Toddler dies after dentist visit

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUSTIN, Texas — A toddler visiting the dentist had to be taken to the hospital where she died a few hours later.

It’s not clear exactly what happened to 14-month-old Daisy Lynn. A family member tells KXAN that she was getting cavities filled.

Austin Children’s Dentistry spokeswoman Sarah Marshall would not confirm the exact procedure but did say it was a standard one. After the procedure, she said the child was transferred to a hospital for addition medical attention.

The child’s cause of death is still being determined pending the outcome of an autopsy.

“Everybody’s thoughts and feelings are concerned about the family at this point,” Marshall said. “We don’t have any additional information about what specifically has happened. We’re waiting on those details.”

Daisy Lynn’s aunt Jessica Casaneda said she was “a happy, healthy baby” and “full of life.”

A friend started a YouCaring fundraising site for the child’s mother. She wrote:

“Daisy Lynn Torres went in this morning for a routine cavity filling and under the advice of the dentist was put under anesthesia, when the unthinkable happened. Daisy quit breathing and was rushed by ambulance to a local hospital where despite efforts by the hospital staff, she passed away this morning. This was completely unexpected and has shattered this families world. Daisy’s mom, Betty would give anyone in need her last dollar and has been my best friend since the 6th grade. My heart is broken for her and my second family.”